nedelja, 18. avgust 2013

AFRICA IS AFRICA....

Irena Zupanc is a sponsor to ten children in The Gambia, five of them are boys and five are girls. She decided to join our program Travel as a Volunteer to The Gambia together with some other volunteers. 

Read bellow the reasons for her decision and her feelings about our project in The Gambia.

''I've always loved to travel. I visited many countries, but there's nothing like Africa. I must say that living there and embracing the life of local people changes you. You see, feel and experience more than you can imagine, things you did not even know they exist, things which are unkown to our western world.
While visitng many world destinations, there is one special journey that will forever stay in my memory; visiting and meeting local people in one of the poorest villages in Zambia. It was a heart-breaking experience, a real trial for me. Seeing dozens of children anticipating with hope when seeing a boat with white people on board. When visiting the village I have seen simple houses made of clay, without electricity, running water, furniture, sanitaries. Instead of toilets they use a hole in the ground, covered with a lid.

You soon realise that we are living in a world of dreams and full of possibilities, compared to the majority of the world, compared to Africa. On the contrary, people are far more happy then we are. Modest, simple and selfless. In one of the homes I was offered bread toasted on coal. They were willing to host a complete stranger, even though they have nothing for themselves. I gave some money to the children and one girl was so thankful she started kissing my hands of gratefulness.

I feel the need to help. It makes me happy. I am happy if I make others happy. In the charity organization For the Children of the World I have encountered wonderful people who think alike. Unselfish people, ready to sacrifice and carrying a big heart. So, in September, I'm taking of with some other volunteers to Gambia.

Presently, we are working on fund raising for rice for families in The Gambia. It is a goal in which many people are involved, from friends, to other volunteers and members of the association. We are also in search of new sponsors for the children, in order to provide them an education and the basic needs.

I will visit ''my children'' and their families but also the families of my friends who have now also become sponsors. Our goal is to visit as many people as possible, give them rice and the letters from their sponsors in Europe.
Especially, I look forward seeing their smiley faces when they will receive food and presents. This kind of internal joy no money can buy.

I struggle with finding the right words to continue. Let me just add these sentence to finish off: All the good you do in life comes back to you. If one can help in any manner to anyone and not expect anything in return it is called charity, a good heart. It does not matter who you help. What matters is that you make a change and maybe tomorrow it might be you who will need help. Or me. And it is comforting to know that there are people out there who care.

I look forward to meet the kids of which I take the best possible care. I will make my best so they do not forget me, and to know they also have someone who cares about them, even if very far away.

I would like to appeal to all of good people to join us on our journey for making world a better place


Irena Zupanc"

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar