torek, 13. avgust 2013

TRAVEL AS A VOLUNTEER THE GAMBIA - TRAVELOGUE PART 3

As we conitnued our work and visiting our children, we also wanted them to make their day and sweeten a few moments with us so we bought some candies. What a joy it was for them and also for us! The children began to arrive from everywhere. In a few minutes we were surrounded by a huge number of smiling children. Every child from the village was relishing those lollipops. They were shouting "toubab", "toubab", which means white person. Let me explain that this word does not display racist acts, but a joy and respect!

Etka and Valerija went back home to Slovenia, I stayed and continued with the voluntary work. Before their departure we have spent the day with our friends - monkeys, at the Monkey Park. Of course this was one of the most entertaining mornings of our lives. Well, at least untill the point where they peed all over us and thus made us feel like we were sisters-at least by smell.


For the first time, when we were visting our children in Barra village, we took the ferry to reach other side. The drive took almost 3 hours in one direction, due to excessive cargo and low state of water. We shared the ferry with lots of people, plenty of cars, and also goats and motorcycles. To my question regarding the limitation of the number of the passengers and weight the reply was the following:  “ Yes, of course there is a limitation, but these rules no one follows.”
''Great'', I said to myself. ''I guess we'll see what happens.'' Luckily, we made it safe and sound to the village and back.




During my next visit to the village, I decided to take the adrenaline ride with a local, once a fishing boat. These boats have a long historical background, they are used now to transfer people, animals and cargo from the te capital of Gambia Banjul to rhe village of Barra.
From the village of Barra the roads lead to Senegal. What is fascinating about all of this is the fact that in the ports there are no pears. This means that in order to get to the boat, the boys, who work there, to bring food for their families, have to carry you on their shoulders to the boat, where with some additional help of the others you climb on the boat.


This may seem somewhat acceptable if I didn't weigh more than 100 kg! I couldn't sleep all night out of fear how these boys will manage to carry me across the water to the boat! ''Those poor men'', I thought.
The other day I decided to face the facts. I went to the port with Musa Faal, where a real spectacle was to happen. Everyone wanted to carry me!!! In the end, I have chosen a boy with a nickname Rambo. I asked him what should I do. He just said: '' Spread your legs and stay balanced.'' ''Haha I can do that'', I said. I did my part with excellence, Rambo put his head between my legs and carried me to the boat. Another Rambo waited for me there, who pulled me up and I was on the boat in less than one minute. Surprisingly! I gave them my compliments, and they said I was far from being the heaviest. ''In africa'', they said, ''lots of women are bigger than you, so in comparison to them you are just the perfect size.'' “I love Africa”, I said.


The ride was fast and calm. We reached the village in less than 20 minutes. In comparison to the ferry ride it was far more comfortable and much faster. I must mention the fact that the locals were always in more or less direct contact with me. There is no such thing as personal space when travelling with public transportation in Africa! Therefore you must go with the flow and get used to the habits of the locals. It is almost unnecessary to stress that I was the only caucasian woman sharing te ride with around 100 of african men and 3 african women. Another adrenaline experience which I will never forget was the departure of the boat.When we reched the port, the locals rushed into the water. It's just a few steps...


They earn less than 0,25 EUR for each person that they carry to the land. It's crowded in front of the boat, the men wrestle to get a ''client''. Musa arranges another rambo for me to carry me across the water. I give my camera to Musa to capture this historical moment. I sit at the edge of the boat and wait. When my rambo comes near I ask him for instructions. ''Spread your legs and jump on me!'' I sneer and ask him if he's being serious.'' Of course I am serious. I am a strong man'', he replies. Lord help him! I do what he says, jump on his neck and he carries me to the land. When he puts me down he says: “Madame I need massage!” In laughter I promise him a massage and say goodbye while leaving him a nice tip. He definetely earned more than 10 dalasies for his good spirits and a great sense of humour. On the way back, the  story was similar! There were even more fun moments when the cousin of  Musa joined us. Herself also not being one of the skinniest african ladies. Even more, she doesn't know how to swim and is terrified by the sheer idea of the sea. The ride was fun and full of adrenalin rush!


This trip into the country where people always carry a smile filled us with incredible joy and love towards the children and warm, kind-hearted people. On the contrary, it has also shown us the cruel reality of the underprivileged people in Gambia.

On the one hand you can find expensive hotels, on the other hand, a mother with the child in her arms asking for left-overs, so that she could offer her child at least one meal a day. On the one hand, expensive cars, on the other hand handicapped people in a wheelchair cleaning a wealthy man's car to earn enough for a handful of rice.

Still, we are immensely pleased that we have experienced real, local, black Africa! About our work and adventures one could write much more. We met lots of new people, families and children whom we help, get familiar with their way of life; learn the concept of fighting for survival .

Due to difficult situations of single mothers, we want to find solutions to help them and their children in order to increase their standard of living. With these women, we have set new goals and projects to directly support them and their families.
Many studies have shown that women who earn even smallest amounts of money invest it in their family and children, while men spent it otherwise. We wish to seek employment opportunities for women in order for them to receive a decent salaries.

During our visit, we also carried out a variety of interviews with the local newspapers, which support our work and look forward to our new projects. The first articles about our work were at the time of our visit in Gambia issued in three local newspapers.

We are pleased that we can help and we hope that we will be joined by other volunteers, to help us in any possible way to make a difference in the lives of smiling children of Gambia.

It starts with me, it starts with you.


To finish up, just a reminder that in September, we are headed again to a voluntary project. In October, a few places are still available for those who would like to join us!


Ursa Rojnik

Co-founder of organization For Children of the World
info@kidsaretheworld.com
+386 31797869
www.kidsaretheworld.com

www.facebook.com/travelingandvolunteering

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar