sreda, 21. avgust 2013

I was rather HUNGRY a few DAYS and gave FOOD to those who are hungry EVERY DAY ...

Valeria Krslin, founder of charity organization called “Last Hope” joined us as a volunteer to The Gambia in June 2013. A woman who puts all her efforts to help animals, children and people in need, has also changed the life of a family in the Gambia. It is said that one cannot change the world but still she has proven that an individual can change the world of at least one person. Valeria is a sponsor of Ramatoulie. She provides donations for her schooling, but as mentioned before, she has also changed the world of an entire family. She helps with funds for food, for medicines, clothing and footwear, educational costs ... She has shared some of her feelings after visiting the Gambia with us. Read how this trip has changed her life and her perception of the world.

Because I was rather HUNGRY a few DAYS and gave FOOD to those who are hungry EVERY DAY ...

"Living in the Gambia has taught me many things. Unfortunately or fortunately, I did not get to experience the country as a tourist, but as a volunteer in the Gambia. Seeing the misery of the children who suffer from deprivation, encountering starving people on the street, not to mention the animals and their miserable situation has definitely put a mark on me. This cannot be seen so closely if you travel as a tourist, from the 5 star hotel and other tourist-protected areas. Of course, just as in every African country, there are rich and poor, there are beautiful villas and also poor shacks. Let me state that there are not many rich people in the Gambia. The fact that separates the Gambia from other countries in the world is that the percentage of the poor is incredibly high. The poor are everywhere - in the cities as well as in the countryside. Tourists visiting the Gambia are usually staying in hotels with heavenly beaches or attend some excursions where they are shown the cultural and historical tourist sites, national parks and world of animals. It is a beautiful country to visit and amazing people to meet. We however, were sight-seeing the villages, meeting families and experiencing their way of life. We also visited local schools, where the conditions are not very promising. Basically, we were faced with the reality of the Gambians in this so-called country of smiling people.


Without any doubts I have returned back home a changed person with a different view of the world. In Slovenia, we are having some troubles in the past years when it comes to social as well as political matters. But let me tell you that we do not lack anything as long as we are healthy. I recommend everyone to go to the Gambia and you'll see what it means to struggle for each day feeding and living. A woman in a wheelchair was washing cars to feed her hungry children. In front of restaurants we met a handicapped man and a mother with her child who were waiting for the leftovers of restaurant guests! This cannot be witnessed in our country. It is true that some of us can not earn big amounts of money and some are having very hard life in Europe but still let me explain that in the Gambia there is no social security system. No social support, no health insurance, women give birth at home, many of them die, they do not have any maternity benefits, pensions, various cash benefits in the event of lost job, subsidized meals ... Nevertheless, these people do not complain, they have a smile on their face and they look for a way to make it through. When I gave my sandwich to a disabled person on the street who had a deformed hands and feet, he almost dropped it on the floor so severe deformity of time he had! Yet, he did not complain, quite the opposite – he was smiling ... I was standing beside him adn cried. I felt so helpless and useless.

We should appreciate that we live in the developed world. One cannot understand the situation in Africa unless you see it with your own eyes. In the Gambia, I lost a few pounds, because I was rather hungry for a few days and give food to those who are hungry every day. You get down from all this misery. Many of the animals died infront of my eyes, but it is not possible to provide veterinary aid to all of them and neither would it do a lot of help because the problem lies much deeper. Their attitude towards animals is quite different from ours. It is very difficult to convince hungry people to give the cats or dogs fresh water and food if they don’t have it for themselves.

With all this misery and mentally exhausting work in the Gambia I have also brought many beautiful, happy, memorable moments. Originally, I went to the Gambia in order to volunteer and to meet my little girl, my princess Ramatoulie. I will keep sending money for their food, clothing, school supplies... My wish of meeting my family has now fulfilled. I met the whole family, I hugged my princess and spent some memorable moments with her, with her sisters, brother and mother. It is impossible to describe these moments of happiness. The little girl is a real angel. Her mother and 6 amazing children live in a modest apartment but I know that they are living now much better. The whole family welcomed me. I brought them some nice gifts as well. It was precious to see the sparkle in their eyes. At the same time, I was worried with the thought of all the other children, which did not get the opportunity to go to school, who don’t get any kind of help ... And there are many...



I want to thank to all of you who will in any way help children in The Gambia, and those who have already become sponsors and paid school fees for the children. You can not imagine that with doing so, you have given the children a chance to have a better future. There are many more, waiting outside a school who want to attend, but their parents can’t even pay school fees for them.
Greetings to all,
Valeria Krslin  

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar